Tigray conflict: Government declares unilateral ceasefire
Written by crest887fm on June 29, 2021
The Ethiopian government has declared a ceasefire in the Tigray region eight months after Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed sent troops to oust its leadership.
The announcement came as witnesses reported anti-government troops in the streets of Tigray’s capital, Mekelle. All sides have been accused of carrying out mass killings and human rights violations.
More than five million people are in urgent need of food aid, the UN says, with 350,000 facing famine.
On Monday, reports began to emerge that the Tigrayan fighters – who launched a new offensive last week – had forced the interim administration from Mekelle.
Getachew Reda, spokesperson for the Tigray People’s Liberation Front (TPLF), told news agency Reuters the city was now under their control.
Ethiopia’s government has yet to comment on report that its troops have been pulled out.