Indonesian ambassador assures Nigeria of better relationship despite assault on diplomat.

Written by on August 13, 2021

The Indonesian Ambassador to Nigeria, Dr Usra Harahap, has promised that the bilateral relations between his country and Nigeria will not be derailed by the assault on the Nigerian diplomat in Jakarta by immigration officials.

This was as the recalled Nigerian Ambassador to Indonesia, Usman Ogah, did not get to Abuja from the Asian country as of 7.57pm on Thursday.

Harahap described the matter as an isolated incident which did not in any way affect his countries’ commitment to carry out its obligations as host country in accordance with the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations.

Harahap stated this in a statement made available to journalists in Abuja on Thursday, after shelving a scheduled press conference.

The ambassador was summoned by the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama, on Monday, following the attack on a Nigerian diplomat, Abdulrrahman Ibrahim, in Jakarta, last Saturday.

During his meeting with the minister, the envoy accused Ibrahim of being the aggressor, adding that his refusal to identify himself and the subsequent assault on the Indonesian officials escalated the incident.

But in his statement on Thursday, Harahap said the Indonesian government had continued to maintain communication through diplomatic channels with the Federal Government, adding that he and Onyeama discussed “the good and strong bilateral relations between Indonesia and Nigeria.”

He stated, “During the meeting of August 11, 2021, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs regrets the incident that took place on August 7, 2021.

Meanwhile, there are indications that the recalled Nigerian ambassador to Indonesia, Usman Ogah, has not arrived in the country.

The envoy was scheduled to return to Abuja with Ibrahim on Thursday but findings indicated that the duo had yet to come back as of the time of filing this report.

The spokesperson, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Mrs Esther Sunsuwa, said she was not sure that the officials were back when contacted at 7:57pm.

Credit: Punch

Reader's opinions

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Always at its Peak

Current track

Social Media Auto Publish Powered By :